Excellence in Local Governance (EXCELL) Awards
The local governance arena has gone through a dynamic and cutting-edge transformation since 1991 when the decentralization agenda was still a new concept. But as the environment evolves and new challenges emerge, there is one thing that is sure to stay: our commitment to providing quality capacity building intervention remains steadfast By exploring various strategies and means, we will continue to uplift the quality of local governance in the years to come.
One strategy is the Regional Search for EXCELLENCE IN LOCAL GOVERNANCE or EXCELL, an awards program for LGUs. It is conceptualized as a continuing project of the DILG VI for best managed local governments in the region showcasing their achievements in governance, administration, social services, economic development and environmental management initiatives. These are the components of the Local Governance Performance Management System (LGPMS), upon which the performance of the LGUs shall be measured.
With LGUs’ unwavering commitment to support and encourage innovation, best practices, the award will recognize municipalities, cities and provinces commendable for their efforts in instituting good governance in their respective constituencies.
There are endless opportunities yet to be explored in the interest of good local governance. We only have to seek the helping hands of partner institutions and individuals who believe in the advocacy of good local governance. Thus, to all our indispensable partners and supporters, we offer this our humble accomplishment. We hope to continue our collaboration with you in the furtherance of good local governance.
The project is aimed to recognize LGUs that have demonstrated outstanding accomplishments in governance, administration, social services, economic development and environmental management. Further, the project is intended for:
- Advocacy for transparency and accountability in governance
- Positive reinforcement for good performers
- Popularizing replicable best practices
- Educating the electorate
The following are the awards categories for EXCELL:
CATEGORYRANKPRIZE Outstanding Province1st PlaceP 50,000.00 + PlaqueOutstanding Highly Urbanized City1st PlaceP 50,000.00 + PlaqueOutstanding Component City1st PlaceP 50,000.00 + PlaqueOutstanding 1st-3rd Class Municipality (Category A)1st PlaceP 30,000.00 + PlaqueOutstanding 4th-6th Class Municipalities (Category B)1st PlaceP 30,000.00 + PlaqueSpecial Awards for sustaining the existing DILG programsGawad Pangulo sa KapaligiranP 50,000.00 + Plaque Gabay sa Mamamayan Aksyon Center in the BarangaysP 30,000.00 + Plaque Lupong Tagapamayapa Incentives AwardsP 30,000.00 + PlaqueTOTAL P 320,000.00
POLICIES AND GUIDELINES
- The search shall cover all cities, municipalities, provinces regionwide.
- The city/municipal/provincial search committee, as the case may be, shall only submit one nominee in each category to the next higher level search committee. The provincial search committee shall submit top performing nominees in each category to the regional search committee. In case of tie, the search committee concerned shall further validate the results to break the tie and determine the awardee or nominee.
- An awardee for three (3) consecutive years in the same awards category shall be a recipient of a Hall of Fame Award.
- The decision of the regional search committee is final.
ASSESSMENT AND SELECTION PROCEDURES
Provincial Search Committee
- The Provincial Search Committee (PSC) shall be the principal assessment team to evaluate the performance of component cities and municipalities based on the results submitted by the city/municipal search committee.
- The PSC shall accomplish the applicable assessment forms for each component city and municipality and consolidate their over-all assessment numerical rating and shall rank all contestant LGUs based on the over-all assessment numerical rating (OANR) from the highest to lowest. The OANR shall be computed by dividing the Grand Total Point Score (GTPS) by the number of assessors. To arrive at the GTPS, get the sum of the Assessment Numerical Rating (ANR) of each assessor in every criterion to get the Total Point Score (TPS) for that criterion and add the TPS of all the criteria.
- The PSC may validate the assessment made by the lower level committee, however, validation should be limited to those closely top performing nominees.
- After having determined the top performing nominees, the PSC shall submit to the RSC, the comparative assessment of the top performing nominees in each category and with complete documentation.
- The PSC shall nominate to the Regional Search Committee the following:
- The Outstanding Province
- The Outstanding Component City
- The Outstanding Category A and B municipalities
REGIONAL SEARCH COMMITTEE
- The Regional Search Committee (RSC) shall assess/evaluate all nominees for component cities, and Categories A and B municipalities based on the results submitted by the PSC.
- The RSC shall evaluate the performance of highly urbanized city and province
- The RSC shall assess these LGUs through ocular inspection and analyses of documents. It shall likewise conduct briefing and feedback conferences with the local officials and functionaries concerned.
- The RSC may validate the assessment made by the lower level committee, however, validation should be limited to those closely top performing nominees.
Search Committees: Composition and Functions
REGIONAL SEARCH COMMITTEE FUNCTION
Chairman: RD, DILG
Members: RED, DENR
Private Sector (2)
The Operations Services Division (OSD) of the DILG Regional Office VI shall provide administrative and technical support to the committee
- Initiate and coordinate activities towards the successful implementation of the EXCELL project in the region
- Assess all provinces, HUCs and provl./city nominees for the awards categories
- Select the regional winners in all awards categories
- May plan and implement appropriate awarding ceremonies for the winners
PROVINCIAL SEARCH COMMITTEE FUNCTIONS
Chairman: PD, DILG
Private Sector (2)
The DILG Provincial Office shall provide administrative and technical support to the committee
- Initiate and coordinate activities towards the successful implementation of the EXCELL project in the province
- Assess all component cities and municipalities in the province
- Select the provincial nominees and nominate same to the RSC for further evaluation, or other appropriate action
- May plan and implement appropriate awarding ceremonies for the provincial winners